Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Scourge Of The Salton Sea

It took their minds, their souls. I am sitting alone in the middle of nowhere surrounded by bloodthirsty, mindless savages. The whole town has gone mad, cannibalizing the ones who still have minds. They have lost their intelligence, I think. They haven't tried to break into my motel room yet. All I can do is sit here as I slowly go into shock and then become insane for a different reason than everyone else.
I was visiting my friend, who lives here, by the Salton Sea. It was supposed to be my short vacation. But now I know that I will succumb to this horror that sits outside my room. It must be the water; they all drink water, right? But I didn't. I never drink from the tap, and I bring my own water everywhere. At first I thought I was lucky I didn't get infected. But am I really more fortunate than them, or am I just waiting to be murdered?
Now I hear them, making seemingly random grunts and groans. The doorknob wiggles as they try to open the locked door. They soon grow tired of trying to open the door, and I hear them begin to shuffle away mindlessly. I think the coast is clear, until I shift my weight and my leg hits the TV remote. Off all buttons on that lousy controller, I hit the ON button. Coincidentally, the volume was as loud as humanely possible, so they started pounding on the door again. Thanks to modern technology, my life was over.
I had to do something, I wasn't just going to let myself die without a fight. But since running seemed easier, I grabbed a knife in the kitchen and used it to cut a rather large hole in the screen on the open window. I crawled awkwardly out of the makeshift escape route. Luckily, my car was parked ten feet away. I snatched the keys out of my pocket and singled out the one that unlocked my car. I pressed the unlock button and opened the door. I slammed it shut and put the keys in the ignition. There were a few cannibalistic savages headed my way, so I quickly pulled out of the parking lot and made my way to the main road.
Surprisingly easily, I had made it out of a deathtrap of a tourist town. I was in shock, and drove until I saw the sign for Palm Springs. I stopped at the first store I saw. But something was off; something was horribly wrong. There was a drooling, wild-eyed citizen making their way towards my car. The cannibal with blood dripping down their face tries to break my window to get in. I was wrong. I thought this was an isolated accident. But it had affected everything bordering the Salton Sea , and most likely more. If only California had fixed this environmental disaster, then I wouldn't be facing a certain doom. I quickly drove away, simultaneously hitting the insane, incurable cannibal with my car.
I didn't know where I was going, or what I was doing. But I knew one thing, I wasn't going to succumb to madness like everyone who surrounded me. I would find a way to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment